Find Me on Facebook!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Business Idea

I want to start off by saying I am not knocking any cake decorators out there.  I actually admire Duff Goldman from Ace of Cakes and others like him.  Sometimes wish I could do what they do.  But, outside of the simple geometric shapes or the less the more elegant idea, I could never do what they do.  I don't have that much artistic talent.  So, with that said I don't want the bulk of my business to be cake decorating.  My shining star would the cake or baked good itself not the decorations.

With the back to school and the holidays coming up, it got me thinking.  How many times has Mom or Dad had to stop on the way to school to pick up a dozen cupcakes because it was their child's day for snack?  Or you are going to a pot luck and are asked to bring something?  I have heard many people over years say, "I wish I could just bake something." or "What you buy in the store is never as good as homemade."  So, those people will be my main target.  I want to bring baked goods out of the special occasion category and into the everyday.

I am not saying I won't make things for special occasions because I more then will.  I just want people to think outside the box.  Think of those times where a nice dessert would great, you want something a little better then the super sweet things at the store for your child to take to school, or you want to bring something to a potluck that hasn't been sitting on a shelf before you bought it.  I know that this means most of my business would be local because of delivery issues, but I do have an idea for those else wheres...... mail order cookies.

Mail order cookies?  Yes, I said mail order cookies.  You can order homemade cookies and have them delivered right to you door anywhere around the country.  Of course as I learn how to better ship things, I might be able to expand into other baked things.

Ok, this is where you get the chance to tell me if I am completely crazy or that may have something here.  I am open to all suggestions.  Hope to hear from some of you.

Until next time.....Happy Baking!

1 comment:

  1. Those both sound like great ideas! I can definitely see the mail order cookie thing being good because it opens up your market so much, going from whatever area of Houston to the entire country. I've wondered about doing something like that with chocolates or other things but have always been worried about temperature control, which probably wouldn't be an issue with cookies.

    So are you thinking about getting a storefront and everything?

    ReplyDelete